Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Simple Creamy Celery Soup (No Added Fat)

We were out and got home with little time to make dinner. My wife says she doesn't like celery but when I bought a nice organic bunch at a great price, she said she'd try it, including an idea I had to make a cream of celery soup. I wanted to get dinner ready literally in 20m or so, so threw together a simple soup. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 3 cups (about 1/2 bunch) celery
  • 1/4 cup onion
  • 1 cup thick almond milk (I used a commercial almond milk creamer) or plant milk of choice
  • 3 cups water
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
  • 1/4 t oregano
  • (optional) 1/8 t tarragon
Process
  1. I simply blended all the ingredients.
  2. Because I use a high power Vitamix, I just let it continue to run for about 2 minutes till the soup was hot but, alternatively, the blended soup could simply be heated stovetop.
I served with some tempeh, cooked with no oil on a cast iron pan.
Results

I was surprised at how good the soup was! It was easy to make and had a rich, creamy, flavor. Alas, my wife (and, to some extent, my daughter) really does not like celery and did not like the soup. This was, unfortunately, one of the (luckily very rare - I think in the dozen or so years I've known her, there have been three meals she hasn't liked) meals of mine that she didn't like.

Ideas for the future

I guess for myself, I need to make this soup again. It would be fun to enhance it maybe with dill and maybe a sprinkling of celery seat when served (I used to commonly use celery seed long ago). Mixing some cooked potato could be nice but I really liked the thick consistency that I got with the almond milk creamer and potato might make the soup too thick; perhaps some chunks of potato could be served intact in the soup.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home