Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Giant Peruvian Lima Bean - Sweet Potato Vegetable Soup (No Added Fat)

My daughter requested a soup for dinner and I thought I'd take advantage of the creamy Giant Peruvian lima beans that we all love. I hadn't soaked any beans, so, as soon as I got home, I soaked some beans in boiling water for about a half hour as I prepared the other ingredients. Here is what I did:

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Giant Peruvian Lima beans
  • Boiling water to amply cover beans (approx. 3 cups)
  • 1 cup carrot cut into approximately 1/2" slices
  • 2 cups sweet potato cut into approx. 1" circles approx. 3/8" thick
  • 1t ginger
  • 2 1/2 cups broccolini cut into 1/4" pieces (throughout the length, including stalk and florets)
  • 2 cloves garlic finely (1/8" or so) chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups onion cut into thick half moons (approx. 3/8" x 1")
  • Small bell pepper, roasted (see yesterday's meal description for instructions) and cut into approx. 1/2" squares (my pepper was small and I ended up with maybe 1/3 cup, but would have liked 1/2 cup or so)
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1/4 t oregano
  • 1/4 t lemon pepper (or freshly ground black pepper)
  • 3T nutritional yeast
  • Spices to taste (my suggested starting point is in parentheses): salt (1/4 t), ground cumin seed (1/8 to 1/4 t), cinnamon (just a pinch), tarragon (1/8 t), and garlic powder (1/2 t)
  • 6 cups boiling water
  • 1/2 t or to taste
Process
  1. I rinsed the beans and then let them soak in the first batch of boiling water while I was working on the rest of the ingredients (about a half hour), then rinsed the beans and put them in the Instant Pot pressure cooker, along with the 6 cups of boiling water.
  2. I added all of the remaining ingredients except salt and pushed the "Soup" button, which results in 30 minutes of pressure cooking.

Results

My wife and daughter quite liked the soup. I thought it was fine but bland. This was the one exception I've found so far to Peruvian Lima beans making for great dishes.

Ideas for the future

I'm not sure what would make this soup better. Some chunks of potato may help, and maybe some wine cooked into the soup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home