Monday, July 27, 2015

Cranberry Beans with Turnip Greens and Roasted Diced Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Sprouted Green Peas (No Added Fat)

Among meals that I delivered to a client yesterday was a cranberry bean with turnip greens and diced tomato dish; I made a large quantity, enough to save a large serving for us. I didn't capture the details, but the recipe went something like the following.

I soaked maybe 2 cups of cranberry beans overnight, rinsed, and cooked for 30 (or maybe 32) minutes on high pressure in my Instant Pot pressure cooker. After a half hour or so, I opened the pot, mixed in a large 28 ounce can of roasted and diced tomatoes, about 2 teaspoons of lime juice, and just a little salt (I always undersalt or skip salt for this client; I find that salt is welcome with acidic foods, but respect clients' desire to set their own salt level).

Today, I wanted to add onions and garlic. Instead of heating the dish conventionally, I put the leftovers I saved for my family, along with about 1/8 cup of water, 2 minced cloves of garlic, and maybe 1/4 cup of chopped (maybe 3/8" cubes) onion, into my pressure cooker. Before cooking, I also put in a bowl with 8 ounces of mushroom, maybe 2 or 3 tablespoons of water, and maybe 3 tablespoons of 1/4" x 3/4" or so half moon onions. I cooked on high pressure for 2 minutes.

I added some salt, lemon pepper, and garam masala to the mushroom, and served, along with sprouted green peas.

Results

My wife said that she enjoyed dinner; it was good, but I think the mushroom in particular could have used more spices, perhaps some turmeric and hot chili powder. The bean dish was good but could have used some additional vegetables, like potato or bell pepper.

Ideas for the future

I should try more simple pressure cooked mushroom recipes. Variants of the beans with additional vegetables would be good. This was the first time in years that I've cooked with turnip greens - I prefer spinach, but changing things up a bit is also good.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home