Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Whole Wheat Pesto Pizza with Artichoke and Roasted Red Bell Pepper; Quinoa with Corn, Carrot, Broccoli, and Soybean (No Added Fat)

I still had pesto leftover from last week and have been thinking of making pesto pizza. I was thinking of putting a little marinara as the base and only putting pesto on for the last few minutes of baking to keep the pesto from drying but, since it was water based, decided just to use pesto as a base.

I had picked up two Engine 2 whole wheat pizza crusts, and made one with a little bit of vegan Daiya cheese for my daughter, and made the second cheeseless for my wife and me. I won't detail the making of the pizza as it was simple; my daughter helped and put a thin layer of pesto down, then artichoke hearts, onion, and roasted bell pepper, plus the optional cheese, and I baked on a pizza stone in my oven.

I can't believe that my daughter is graduating from Kindergarten tomorrow! We're having a potluck lunch, so I made a big batch of quinoa. I used about a pound of quinoa and added another pound of chopped corn, carrot, broccoli, and soybean. I added twice as much by volume water as I had quinoa, added a little salt and turmeric, brought to a boil and let it simmer for 2 or 3 minutes, then turned off the heat and let the pan sit, covered, for about 10 minutes, till the characteristic spiral of the quinoa became evident.

I made it simply to maximize the chances of the children enjoying this, which I'm planning on serving cold tomorrow. We enjoyed it warm with our dinner.

Dinner was good! I am so happy to have this easy and healthful way to make pesto. The pesto pizza was good, especially the second slice that I had with a little bit of vegan cheese. Other than that slice, it was a no added fat meal; even with that slice, the Daiya cheese has 6g per quarter cup, and I had at most a tablespoon or two, so at most a gram of fat.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home