Friday, June 12, 2015

Waterless Seitan with Squash, Cauliflower, Potato, and Plantain (No Added Fat)

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces butternut squash (I used 1/2 bag of frozen squash)
  • 10 ounces cauliflower florets (I used a full 10 ounce bag of mixed cauliflower)
  • 4 ounces seitan (I used half of an 8 ounce box of seitan strips)
  • Medium Yukon Gold potato, cut into 3/8" cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 small Vidalia (or other) onion cut into 1/4" thick half moons (just under a cup)
  • (Optional) Medium plantain cut into 3/8" slices (about a cup)
  • (Optional) 2T pesto sauce (as I described last week)
  • 1/4 t lemon pepper (or freshly ground black pepper)
  • 1/8 t salt (or to taste)

Process
  1. I started heating a large Saladmaster stock pan over low heat as I added the squash, cauliflower, seitan, potato, onion, and plantain.
  2. I covered the pot and increased the heat to medium.
  3. After 2 minutes or so, the steam release vent started clicking; I reduced the heat to low so that the clicking went away and cooked for 20m.
  4. I opened the pan, added the pesto, lemon pepper, and salt, and served.
I also made some Madagascar Pink rice with a bit of basil mixed in.

Results

My daughter doesn't like squash, so I had served her something else for her main course. My wife and I very much enjoyed dinner. I should cook waterlessly more often - it's easy and tasty.

Ideas for the future

Some garlic would have been welcome with this dish. We put hot sauce (which seems to always go so well with plantain) on at the table. The potato was still a little firm and could have cooked more; perhaps a 25m cook time would be better.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home