Sunday, June 28, 2015

Cauliflower and Lentil Stew with Madagascar Pink Rice (No Added Fat)

It was a cool and rainy day, and the idea of a hot lentil dish sounded appealing. I made a nice brown lentil dhal with kale, corn, and preserved lemon this past July in my Instant Pot pressure cooker. I thought I'd make something similar without the lemon, marinara sauce (my Dad doesn't eat garlic), jalapeno (my daughter doesn't eat spicy food), or corn

Ingredients
  • 1 cup brown lentils
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 cups cauliflower florets (I used a yellow cauliflower and needed almost half of the head)
  • 1 1/2 cups fingerling (or Yukon gold) cut into 3/8" lengths
  • 2 carrots cut into 1/4" slices (about a cup)
  • 1 vegan bouillon cube
  • 1/8 t turmeric
  • 1/4 t ground cumin
  • 1/4 t salt (or to taste at the table)
  • (Optional) 1T fennel root cut into 3/8" cubes
  • (Optional) Up to 10T citrus pulp and juice (I used about 4T fresh squeezed Pixie tangerine and the pulp from squeezing 6 tangerines); if omitted, add 2t lemon or lime juice just before serving
  • 1/2 cup frozen or fresh chopped spinach
  • 1/2 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
Process

  1. I put all of the ingredients except the onion into a large stock pot
  2. I cooked, uncovered, for 25m
  3. I mixed in the onion and served
I also served some Madagascar Pink rice (ratio of 1 part rice to 1 1/2 parts water, cooked for 20m)


Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home