Monday, April 13, 2015

Cranberry Beans with Green Roma Tomato, Tricolor Quinoa (No Added Fat)

In the store today, I found green roma tomatoes. I enjoy pressure cooking green (unripened) tomatoes, as they add a nuanced but not pronounced tomato flavor, sometimes a welcome change. However, I've never found green roma tomatoes. I had had some cranberry beans soaking overnight, and decided to make a simple dish with the beans and tomatoes.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups cranberry (or kidney) beans soaked overnight (or at least 5-6 hours) in ample water (at least 3 cups)
  • Water to just cover beans (approx. 1 1/2 cups)
  • 2 medium green roma tomatoes cut into 1/4" cubes (approx. 1 1/2 cups); alternatively, 1 medium tomato cut into 1/4" cubes (and making approx. 1 1/2 cups)
  • Medium zucchini cut into 1/4" cubes (approx. 1 1/4 cups)
  • 1T ginger, finely (approx. 1/8") diced
  • (Optional) 1T jalapeno, cut into 1/4" squares (I used a red jalapeno)
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 3 scallions, bottom 1/2" or so removed (and composted or discarded), then cut into 3/8" slices
  • 1/4 t dried oregano
  • 1/4 t (or to taste) salt

Process
  1. I rinsed the beans then put them, along with water to just cover, into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked on high pressure for 40m (I just used the "bean" button adjusted upwards by one adjustment - two button presses).
  2. When I was ready to proceed, I gently let out any remaining pressure and opened the pot.
  3. I added the tomato, zucchini, ginger, jalapeno, and bouillon cube and cooked on high pressure for 2 minutes.
  4. When I was ready to proceed, I slowly let out remaining pressure and opened the pot.
  5. I added the scallion, oregano, and salt, and served, along with some quinoa and tomato.


Results

Dinner was good. I could have used more jalapeno, but was happy that my daughter ate, however tentatively, the beans, only complaining a bit that it was "spicy". The green roma tomatoes didn't add much flavor.


Ideas for the future

When I first tried cooking with green tomatoes this past July, I cooked them for 3 minutes. My sense is that longer cooking time wouldn't make much of a change and that either roma tomatoes don't come out so well when green, or that these tomatoes were just too green. If I find green romas again, I'd love to try a 3- or even 4- minute cooking time, or look for slightly ripened ones.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home