Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Rainbow Chard with Black Beans (No Added Fat)

My daughter and I picked out a beautiful bunch of rainbow chard a day or two ago, and I thought it would be nice to make a pressure-cooked meal with it today. I thought that I'd include some finely chopped potato so that it could cook along with the chard in 3 minutes, and wanted to include some black beans that we had on hand. Unfortunately, on principle, my Dad won't eat any leftover foods, so I was momentarily stumped. Then I realized that I could make my dish sans beans, serve it to him, and mix in the beans for the rest of us - and some garlic (he doesn't eat garlic), as well! This is what I did:

Ingredients
  • Medium or large Yukon gold (or other) potato cut into small cubes about 1/8" or slightly smaller
  • About a quarter cup (maybe a fifth of a large onion I had) onion chopped into 1/4" x 1/2" strips
  • Rainbow (or Swiss) chard bunch, stems cut into 1/2" lengths and leaves hand torn into approximately 3/4" squares
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup prepared black beans
  • 1 clove (NOT whole bulb!) garlic, finely diced
  • Salt to taste (I used approx. 1/2 t), as well as freshly ground black pepper (I used about 1/4 t)
  • Approx. 1/2 t tarragon
Process

  1. I put everything but the beans, garlic, and seasonings into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked on high pressure for 3 minutes.
  2. When it cooled down a bit, I gently released steam, added the seasonings, and served to my Dad.
  3. I added the garlic and black beans, and served to the rest of us.
I also served some corn kernels and fresh tomato with hemp seeds.


Results

Dinner came out well! The main course was better than I had expected. Initially, my daughter liked the main course, but then the raw garlic was "spicy" to her, so she lost interest, unfortunately.

Ideas for the future

The garlic was indeed strong and would have been better cooked with the vegetables. I really liked the main course and can't think of useful changes except perhaps including a little bit of squash or pumpkin with the vegetables.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home