Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Sauteed Broccoli Rabe, Smoky Tempeh (No Added Fat)

I haven't cooked with broccoli rabe (also known as rapini) in a long time and found this not-so-common-here vegetable at Whole Foods Market. I found a simple recipe for sauteed broccoli rabe online and made simple changes to come up with this recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 bunch broccoli rabe, rinsed
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 medium onion cut into approximately 3/8" wide half moons

Process

  1. I put all of the ingredients except the onion into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked at high pressure for 2 minutes.
  2. After the pressure cooking and when I was ready, I slowly released the pressure and removed the top.
  3. Because the Instant Pot serves many functions, I was able next to do some sauteeing right in the same pot. I mixed in the onion and turned the machine on in saute mode.
  4. I stirred frequently until the greens cooked down a bit and the onion started turning transparent, about 2 minutes.
That's it! They were serving smoky tempeh-lettuce-tomato sandwiches at Whole Foods, which my daughter liked, so I cooked some smoky tempeh without oil, and served it with the meal, too.

Results

Dinner was good! Apparently, Italians like this slightly bitter vegetable and serve it with pasta. My daughter was initially taken by the bitterness, but then seemed to like it. I thought that it was luscious and tasty.

Ideas for the future

The recipe that I foundcalls for including 2 cloves of garlic and 2 shallots. I thought that I put too much onion into this dish; I could have used 1/2 to 2/3 as much, and a little bit (maybe 1 clove) of garlic would have been nice. A little bit of orange or tangerine juice would add a nice surprise sweetness to the dish. I wish that I could more commonly find broccoli rabe!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home