Thursday, September 18, 2014

Cauliflower with Quinoa and Black Beans, Waterless Kale (No Added Fat)

I decided to try cooking cauliflower in the pressure cooker since my stew from August 29 came out so well. I had prepared some black beans (soaked for 10m in boiling water, rinsed and drained, then put in the Instant Pot pressure cooker with boiling water just covering the beans, along with a bit of diced ginger and kombu, and cooked on high pressure for 34m) for tomorrow's Food for Life class, and reserved 1/2 cup prepared beans for tonight's dinner. I wanted to put some quinoa into the main dish, and read that quinoa can be cooked in a normal 1 part quinoa : 2 parts water or broth for 2m in the Instant Pot. (I put a little extra water because there were other ingredients.)


Ingredients
  • Head of cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1/2 cup red quinoa (any kind of quinoa would do)
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1t finely diced ginger
  • 1/4t dried oregano
  • 1T miso
  • 1 cup prepared black beans
  • 1/8 t turmeric
  • (optional) 1/8 t garam masala
  • 1 cup onion chopped to 3/8" cubes
Process

  1. I put all of the ingredients except the black beans, turmeric, garam masala, and onion into my InstantPot and cooked at high pressure for 2 minutes.
  2. I let the pressure cooker come down in temperature so that I could open it (one could slowly release pressure, as well). I added the beans, turmeric, garam masala and onion, and served.
I also made a waterless kale dish by chopping half of a medium onion into half moons. I put the onion into a small Saladmaster stock pot. I hand stripped about 1 1/2" squares from leaves from a bunch of kale, composting the stems. I put the kale into the pan, turned the heat on to medium-high, and covered. Once the vapor lock started rattling, I reduced the heat to low and simmered till I was ready to serve (at least 20m of cooking). I mixed in 1T of coconut aminos (soy sauce would also be fine) and served.

Results

TBD

Ideas for the future

TBD

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home