Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Anasazi Beans with Vegetables served with Jade Pearl Rice with Shiitake Mushroom

I was looking for cranberry beans in the store a few days ago but didn't find them. Instead, I thought I'd try a bean new for me, Anasazi ones. My wife and I enjoyed a trip through many of the Southwest US national parks some years ago, and learned about the three sisters' diet of the Native Americans in the four corners area - meals consisting of beans, corn, and squash. These Anasazi beans are named after some of these early Native Americans.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups Anasazi beans
  • 3 plum tomatoes (1c), cut into 1/2" cubes
  • 1/4 c (half of a small onion) onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 1 small shallot cut into 1/4" cubes
  • 1 medium carrot cut into 1/4" slices and then quartered
  • 1t ginger, cut into 1/4" or smaller pieces
  • 1/2 t salt (I used a lavender sea salt, but any salt is fine)


Process

  1. I had wanted to soak the beans overnight but forgot; I did soak them for about 4 hours
  2. I rinsed well and drained the beans, then put them in the Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 25m under high pressure.
  3. I happened to cook well before I needed the beans so could open the top when I was ready as the pressure had long ago decreased. I tried the beans - they were good but not as sumptuous or hardy as cranberry beans.
  4. I drained the beans then added the tomato, onion, shallot, carrot, and ginger, and cooked under high pressure for another 3m.
  5. I let the pressure drop for a few minutes then slowly released remaining pressure, mixed in the salt, and served.
I also made some Jade pearl rice by first sautéing some shiitake mushroom and onion, then adding about 1/2 cup of dry rice and 1 1/2 times (3/4 cup) water (I normally would also add a vegan bouillon cube, but skipped it this time), as well as a bit of salt, bringing to a boil, then simmering, covered on low heat, for 20m. I mixed in a bit of nutritional yeast and sprinkled a bit of hemp seeds on top.


Results

Dinner came out well. I don't like these beans as much as I do cranberry beans, but I want to try working with Anasazi beans again, perhaps adding some more spice.

Ideas for the future

I'll bet that a bit of jalapeno and something a bit crunch or textured, maybe a bit of tempeh, would go well with the Anasazi beans. Some raw onion added to the main course at the end would be good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home