Friday, August 29, 2014

Cauliflower Stew, Vegetable Uttapam (No Added Fat)


Ingredients
  • Head of cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1 zucchini, chopped into 3/8" cubes
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped into 1/8" or finer pieces
  • 1/4t dried oregano
  • 1T miso
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/8 t turmeric
  • 1/4 cup onion chopped to 3/8" cubes
Process

  1. I put all of the ingredients except the turmeric and onion into my InstantPot and cooked at high pressure for 3 minutes.
  2. I let the pressure cooker come down in temperature so that I could open it (one could slowly release pressure, as well). I added the turmeric and onion, and served.
I also served uttapam, a tasty South Indian pancake. We soak urad dhal - black lentils with skins off and white or brown rice, then blend in our Vitamix blender and let ferment over at least a day or two, then cook on a cast iron griddle with no added fat, but with a little onion, ginger, and bell pepper (I'd rather use jalapeno but we didn't have any. In the picture, the side with the vegetables is on the bottom.)

Results

I liked the cauliflower but my wife found it too bland. The cauliflower was a bit softer than I had hoped for, though it was good if I were making a stew or soup. I thought that it was just right in terms of water content, but my wife thought it was too liquidy. The uttapam, as always, was good.

Ideas for the future

I should try a similar dish but with the cauliflower cooked for just 2 minutes. Some Indian garam masala and jalapeno would be good. I wonder if kernels of corn or lentils would go well.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home