Flageolet Beans with Spinach (No Added Fat)
I made a dish for a client a few days ago with flageolet beans and spinach, and quite liked it. I recreated it with some more seasoning (this client likes bland food) for my family.
- 1 1/2 cups flageolet (or navy) beans soaked overnight in ample water
- Enough water to just cover the beans (maybe 3/4 cup)
- Vegan bouillon cube - 26m
- 1c frozen (or fresh) chopped spinach
- 1/2 c onion chopped to 1/4" cubes
- (Optional) 1t of green garlic or shallot or chives cut finely (1/4" or smaller)
- 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
- 1/4 t (or to taste) lemon pepper or freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 t dried oregano
- 2T fresh squeezed lime (or lemon) juice
- I had soaked the beans overnight but ended up making something else for dinner yesterday, so I rinsed, put fresh water in the pot, and refrigerated, covered, till earlier today, then rinsed the beans. I covered with enough water to just cover the beans, and added the boullion cube. I cooked in my Instant Pot pressure cooker for 26m.
- Once it was done, I waited a few minutes then slowly let out the steam till I could open the pot.
- I added the spinach, mixed, and closed the pot in "keep warm" mode. After just a few minutes, the spinach was warm. (If I had used fresh spinach, I would just add it and continue with the next step.)
- I mixed in the onion, green garlic, salt, lemon pepper, oregano, and lime juice.